In this course participants will learn the four indicators of the ISTE standard on Digital Citizenship: promoting positive interactions, understanding the influence of digital literacy and media fluency, protecting intellectual rights and property, and safeguarding personal data/privacy. Participants will be learning about the 'new' digital citizenship and how to guide and empower students in the digital world. You will be examining articles, videos, lesson plans, and other resources to help you curate and create your own engaging activities and resources to empower students and help them become effective digital citizens. At the conclusion of this course you will be curating two resources and creating one collaborative activity for each indicator that you can use with your students.
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
These courses are open entry/exit with no enrollment cap. All coursework and assignments can be completed at the participants own pace. There is very limited instructor interaction.
Due to the large number of participants in these courses grading is done on a monthly rotation, usually on the first Monday of each month. Please understand these expectations before registering for this course.
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Determine how to use the new ISTE Citizen Standards to teach Digital Citizenship
- Create experiences for learners to make positive, socially responsible contributions and exhibit empathetic behavior online while building relationships and community.
- Establish a learning culture that promotes curiosity and critical examination of online resources and fosters digital literacy and media fluency.
- Mentor students in safe, legal and ethical practices with digital tools and the protection of intellectual rights and property.
- Model and promote the management of personal data, digital identity and protect student data privacy
- Create a Hyperdoc of mini-Digital Citizenship lessons that they can use in their practice.
Target Audience: Everyone Welcome
Course is offered by Utah Education Network.