According to FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel, one in three U.S. households is not subscribed to the internet, either because it is not available, it is too costly, or connectivity is unreliable. And the digital divide isn’t limited to households. Many rural healthcare, pre-K, and Head Start facilities lack broadband connectivity, and general internet access is proscribed for adjudicated youth and adults. The resulting learning gaps can be addressed now – long before an infrastructure plan or cable reach these homes and facilities. Several stations, state networks, and statewide station cooperatives are working with state and local agencies to bridge these gaps with datacasting.
This Public Media Learns course dives deeply into the considerations and planning necessary to launch a datacasting initiative in your market, the collaborative and revenue-generating opportunities available, hardware requirements for ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 environments, and how to manage an ongoing datacasting project, all presented by experienced professionals from stations, state and local government agencies, educators, and industry leaders. Course topics include:
- Integrating equipment stacks and software in an ATSC 1.0 or 3.0 environment, budgeting, project planning and managing a datacasting project
- Developing relationships with state and local health, education, correction agencies, and philanthropy
- Planning and implementing a research component and analyzing and organizing the results
- The future of datacasting: IEI Platform content, Content Innovation Lab at PBS NC, and public service potential of asynchronous content
The final session takes place at the Hybrid NETA Conference in September 2022 and presents project updates from participating stations as well as updates in funding, technology, and research outcomes.
- Session 1: April 13, 2022 - Datacasting: What’s In It for Your Station?
- Session 2: May 11, 2022 - Developing Agency & Philanthropy Relationships
- Session 3: June 8, 2022 - Planning a Research Project
- Session 4: July 13, 2022 -The Future of Datacasting & ATSC 3.0
- Hybrid Conference Session - NETA Conference September 2022